Sleepless in Bangladesh
I caved into my sleepiness yesterday and slept from 2pm-6pm even though I knew it was a mistake. When I woke it was dark out (I didn’t realize it was going to get dark so quickly). I went to sleep again but was only able to sleep a couple more hours and then was awake for the rest of the night. I really look forward to sleeping through the night because there were a lot of noises that I was tuned into and somewhat kept me awake. I am really glad that I brought earplugs! I don’t know how else I would tune out the bells, whistles, bumps, birds, bugs, shuffling of feet, horns, knocking and shouting. Today will be a huge challenge to stay awake, but I really need to.
I had many hours of thinking time in the dark under the cover of my mosquito net. I experienced many emotions that the night brings out of one including happiness, loneliness, fear, frustration and anticipation. I am amazed at how an experience like this can bring out so many emotions both great and terrible.
Today the “houseboy” who is really a grown man with a family is going to take me shopping for fruits and vegetables for my cooking. I have no idea what to expect. Yesterday he offered me yak meat but the vegetarian in me had to refuse. I don’t know if you’re reading this Krista S. but I thought of you and your fondness for the yak man.
I am somewhat concerned that I have not yet found a way to communicate with my parents that I have arrived at my destination…I have requested a computer guy to come over sometime to help install the wireless internet router that I brought with me from the states. Having access to the internet will be great for many reasons. There is an internet cafĂ© a few doors down where I might be able to send out a quick e-mail.
Challenge: stay awake until 7pm. This sounds like a small accomplishment, but if I want to be able to function enough to learn about Bangladesh and do my research I will need to be sleeping at night and awake during the day. Yesterday I walked briskly around the divider in my room. Perhaps I will try that technique again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I tell you what, I am having a TON of trouble sleeping back here...no...no I'm not...
We are glad to hear that you made it safe and got to your house. It sounds like you had a few challenges right "out of the gate" but that everything is working out pretty well so far! Running into people you know in London at the airport--it's that Bennie/Johnnie magic coming through!
Thanks for passing along your thoughts.
Jim
We are glad to hear that you made it safe and got to your house. It sounds like you had a few challenges right "out of the gate" but that everything is working out pretty well so far! Running into people you know in London at the airport--it's that Bennie/Johnnie magic coming through!
Thanks for passing along your thoughts.
Jim
Kristin, tingly that you think of parents even in all the tumult. Thanks to Shamsul's brother's email, we knew you'd arrived...
We appreciate your vivid blog which helps to allay some of OUR "happiness, loneliness, fear, frustration and anticipation." :)love, Dad
SO JEALOUS OF YOU (even in your sleepiness).
Keep livin' the dream
Kristin,
So glad to hear that you safely arrived. Thanks again for your blog. Enjoy the experience!
Post a Comment