Sunday, October 19, 2008

In the Sky

So much has happened in the last couple of days and in the last few hours. I wish that I had immediate internet access that I could post this entry right away, but I don’t know yet when that time will come. My host is in Switzerland until the 30th so I am not sure when my internet access will be up and running.
Here are some of my experiences thus far:
1) Flight from Minneapolis to Chicago: I am surprised to report only a few tears on the plane itself. The amount of tears while getting dropped off and while wandering around the terminal is another story. 
2) Flight from Chicago to London (I’ve never been to London before and it was pretty great).
3) London airport: seeing some folks that I know. I decided to proudly sporting my “Bennies” sweatshirt. As I was riding along the moving escalator, I heard someone shouting “Bennies”. I’m glad that they noticed me because in my sleep deprived, hungry, anxious daze, I never would have recognized them sitting in the coffee shop across the way. As I approached, I realized that one of them was the father of a college roommate and the other one was the father of a woman whose wedding I sang in a couple of years ago. The two of them and their wives were on their way back from Ireland and were on layover in London. It was great to see them and to get a few more hugs and words of encouragement before I was on my way.
4) Frivolous purchase: a hair straightener in the airport. I knew that mine would not have the correct plug in and this one says that it can be used world wide. I’ll try it out when the time comes. The adaptor for my computer is working splendidly so hopefully the straightener will also be a success.
5) Flight from London to Dhaka, Bangladesh. I had a great seat with plenty of leg room. The flight was about 9 hours but it did not seem that long because I was so comfy. Way to go British Airways. In addition, if anyone needs a great travel agent to this part of the world let me know because I have all A++ remarks for my travel agent and the deal they scored me.
6) First impression of the weather: humid and tropical feeling. I know of many people that would be uncomfortable in this weather especially since there is no air conditioning in my house, however as you may know, I thrive in warm weather. I especially enjoy not experiencing the sharp contrast of a humid outdoor day to a dry frigid air conditioned building. I think it will be healthier for me.
7) Locating driver after arriving in Dhaka: it was a challenge.. I had great instructions from my host, but I did not walk far enough along a fence to find him with my name on a sign. I had a bit of a panic when I realized that I could not locate my driver’s “mobile” number but then found it and was able to call him. I did not have small bills, so my new friend with the phone ended up with a large tip. I did not have luck with the ATM on the first try so I was only left with US dollars and I could not get back into the airport to try. These things happen…
8) Cars and Roads: I have been warned on several occasions that the roads and driving conditions in Bangladesh take a while to get used to. There are a lot of cars and people are much more offensive in their driving than in states, especially the Midwest. ;) However, I was pleasantly surprised by the traffic in that it was not as bad as I was imagining. From my brief 15 minute drive from the airport to my host’s home, my first impression is that it is comparable to what I experienced in China, and the roads themselves remind me quite a bit of Thailand. So…one less thing to have to thoroughly adjust to.
9) My house: Pretty awesome. Until December I have the entire bottom floor of a three story house to myself with a kitchen and bathroom. There are a lot of books (I was hoping so) and several beds to try out as well as beautiful couches. I will hopefully be able to post pictures. It is in a really busy area of Dhaka (more so than I was picturing for some reason) which is fine by me because the level of noise outside reminds me of good old Portland Ave. There is a guard at the door (I think 24 hours a day) so that is comforting.
10) My hosts: extraordinarily helpful and welcoming and they are not even here! He set up to have his driver pick me up from the airport and left me a note with contact information for people if I need it. He also left me a couple of cell phones to use until I am able to get my own. I am so fortunate to have this arrangement.
11) My new computer: such a great decision. Thanks to all of you who encouraged me to buy one and for your suggestions. I can tell that it will be especially helpful once we are able to set up a wireless router to my floor.
12) I am in desperate need of a shower and change of clothes so I think I will attempt that now. It is still early in the morning (8: 45am which means that it is 9:45pm in the states) so I anticipate that I will get really sleep around 11am when I would normally going to bed. The excitement of being here and finally being comfortable will keep me awake.
Today’s challenge: Stay awake until 8pm
Tomorrow’s challenge: get internet to work and contact parents