I went to check out Supriya’s apartment. If we end up moving in together any time soon (I hope!) then we would be there until December after which we would move into a similar place. The apartment that she is in now is called Palm Springs or something like that and it is huge! There are several rooms, a couple of living room areas, a kitchen 2 or 3 bathrooms and a washer and dryer. I am really looking forward to the possibility of not living alone anymore. The staff at the house here are all really great but because of some cultural differences and misunderstandings I feel like I am always under surveillance. Everyone seems to know when I eat, what I eat and when I sleep. And I never really know when people will be stopping by. It isn’t too big of a deal but I look forward to some good old fashioned American privacy. Not to mention, someone to explore the city with. It sounds as though Supriya has already hired a cook/cleaner for the apartment. It will be nice to get some more variety in my diet, but it will be strange to have this type of arrangement. I hope I don’t get too lazy here in Bangladesh! I really hope it works out to move because I’m thinking that at this point it will be a really good thing for me. It is really fortunate how many things have lined up for me and my potential roommate. We are planning to be around for the same amount of time and I can basically move in there whenever. She is a vegetarian (at least when she is abroad) so that will not be an issue. We also both have a lot of time because of various challenges in getting our respective research projects off the ground.
There are many other things to look forward to (I didn’t think I’d ever be saying that 10 days ago) including watching American tv shows and feeling more comfortable in inviting friends over to where I live. Although I have my own apartment here, I am still in someone else’s house and I don’t always know what is appropriate as far as guests visiting. I also think that the area of the city that I might move to will be a lot quieter than the road I am currently living on. I have gotten used to it and can sleep through most of the noises, but I think that some more quiet time will be good for my mental well being.
Last night I was making dinner and the housekeeper came down to indicate with gestures and a few words that I was to go upstairs. My hosts and some others were gathered around a small harmonium instrument listening and singing along to songs of Tagore. I had no idea what was going on but I put together the idea that I was to sit and enjoy the music with them. It was very beautiful even though I had no idea what they were singing about.
Today I was supposed to go to a conference about land reformation in rural areas of Bangladesh. But my host forgot to let me know when he was leaving. I completely understand because he was an integral part of the presentation and would be giving the opening remarks. I am sure that he had a lot on his mind. And I wasn’t too sure that I would learn much of anything from going because all of it was to be in Bangla anyway!
I really need to learn to be more careful about mosquitoes. A couple of nights ago before I went to bed I got SO many bites and it is not a good situation. Apparently malaria isn’t an issue here in Dhaka, but you need to be concerned about Dengue fever which you can also get from mosquitoes. Oops, I think I will be spending more time under the mosquito net.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment